4/08/2013

Poetry Is Just In Time

Yesterday my kiddo slipped in mud that coated her sparkly white shoes a wet mud brown.  We giggled out loud as she wiped some of it away on the spring grass.  This was a perfect prelude to reading one of my favorite poems,  E.E. Cumming's in Just-.  It puts a smile on my face this time of year.  What's not to love about words like "mud-luscious" and "puddle-wonderful"?

April is National Poetry Month.  Really every month should be, but it's a nice time for those of us who live busy lives and don't take the time to enjoy the rhythmic beauty of a initially seemingly simple poem that with a deeper look is loaded with sound and meaning.

Like so many, I don't consider myself a poet.  Yet, I appreciate.  Book Spine Poetry is a simple way many of us can appreciate in a participatory, visible way.  Here are two former posts I wrote about this fun form of poetry:  Part 1 and Part 2.  Give it a try and let me know how it goes!  Explore your resources for developing meaningful opportunities, and have fun!

I know this much is true…
The world is open,
The sun also rises.
Where the sidewalk ends,
Let the great world spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment